Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lesson Five: Online Communicaiton Tools


As an educator, I have not yet used Online Communication Tools in the classroom because I am not yet a teacher. I have used these tools as a student, and have found them to be extremely helpful.

One of the classes I took as an undergrad had what was hands down the most helpful website I have ever seen. Posted on the website were our assignment instructions, links to articles about the topic we were covering that week, discussion boards so that students could discuss the materials or plan a study session, and all of our study guides.

In addition to just having our grades posted, there was also a chart comparing our grades to the class average, what our current average was, and what we needed to get on upcoming assignments to get a certain grade in the class. The professor also used this site to post extra credit opportunities. There was also a place where we could email him questions, even anonymously if we didn’t feel comfortable with him knowing who asked.

This amazingly thorough and well planned website made the class much more enjoyable. Ironically enough, this website made the 300 person class one of the classes that I had the most interaction with the teacher.

A website that is as interactive as the one I just described may not be as practical outside of the college setting. I do, however, plan on having a class website, regardless of the age I teach.

On this website, I will have an archive of class newsletters, assignments posted with detailed instructions (no more excuse for lost homework!), and helpful links. The links will include fun and relevant sites that will give students more information and give them the opportunity to practice whatever we are learning.

One part of the website that I plan on having is a blog. Depending on the age of my class, the format of the blog will change a bit. With an older class, the students will do the updating. This will help with their writing skills and give them personal responsibility. It will be a great way to write about ongoing projects, such as a science experiment or pen pals. A blog would also be a good tool for a large group project, where the members could alternate who writes, and they can report on their project, including pictures and graphics that they create.

I think a class website, even if it isn’t super extensive, can go a long way in enriching and supplementing classroom activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment